SpamAssassin timed out and was killed... box too slow?

Vasantha Narayanan vnarayan at HAVERFORD.EDU
Wed Jun 4 16:22:50 IST 2003

We've a SunBlade 100 (500 Mhz) with 500 Mem running Solaris 2.8.  The
machine does nothing other than MailScanning.  It is not even a MailServer.

The MailScanner itself works perfectly.  It is only when I turn on
SpamAssassin that the load on the machine gets really high.  A lot of mail
gets accumulated in the incoming queue waiting to be scanned.  I'm running
15 mailscanner processes and it forks and gets doubled whenever I turn on
SpamAssassin.  Pretty soon the following error shows up in the log:
Jun  3 15:57:07 nisc4 MailScanner[5766]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 15:57:41 nisc4 MailScanner[5758]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 15:58:14 nisc4 MailScanner[5750]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
Jun  3 16:00:08 nisc4 MailScanner[5774]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20

Have others seen this problem?  How have you fixed the problem?  We've
MailScanner-4.20-3 with SpamAssassin-2.50.  The SpamAssassin Timeout is set
to 40 and Scanner timeout is set to 10 (that is the default in that version
of MailScanner)

I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks.

Vasantha

At 05:37 PM 6/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>What kind of horsepower does your box have?  OS?
>
>Mike

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Vasantha Narayanan
Networking and Systems                  email: vnarayan at haverford.edu
Haverford College, PA                   Phone:
610-896-1110