Forwarding spam to FTC

Brian May brian at UNEARTHED.ORG
Tue Jun 3 21:16:03 IST 2003

First off... you don't want to to that...  NEVER automagically forward spam
to an outside address unless you are 1000% positive the email is in fact,
spam.

I save all of my spam in a mbox style format and run handlespam.pl by Theo
Van Dinter , http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/random/handlespam.txt

from the file:
# ** strip out my X-Reject headers for all processing except archiving
# ** report the message ala 'spamassassin -r' to Razor, DCC, Pyzor, and
#    (if available) the Bayes classifier
# ** if the message was relayed through a third-party (there are more than 1
#    "Received:" headers,) do an open-relay check of that server.  if the
#    server is an open-relay, report them to various open relay databases.
#    Need my "testrelay" script for this, so off by default.
# ** if the sending server doesn't have a proper lookup, block their class C
#    network.  this is a little extreme, I know, but the majority of spam is
#    either relayed through someone who has no clue, or is directly from
#    someone without a clue.  any decently managed network will have proper
#    DNS setup for their hosts.
# ** report the message to spamcop
# ** report the message to the FTC
# ** move the message to a spam archive for later referencing
# ** if the message wasn't caught by spamassassin (SA), bounce to the
#    spamassassin-sightings mailing list. (No "X-Spam-Status: Yes" header)
#    This list is actually defunct now, so the feature is off by default.
# ** if the message is a bounce from majordomo (for "X-Spam-Flag: YES"),
#    then unbounce the message before processing.

# Incoming mail is scanned via SpamAssassin.  Mail that is determined
# to be spam is saved into "spam-work".  I then periodically go through
# and take all actual spam and move it into a folder I call "hs".  A cron
# job then runs this script over "hs" to handle the reporting process.
# Output from handlespam is sent to me via cron, so I can easily see what
# was handled, and I can easily cut/paste into my sendmail accessdb.

I've been using it for almost a year now..  works awesome..

Brian