minor isse with sophos-autoupdate script

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 13:47:59 IST 2003

At 13:14 02/06/2003, you wrote:
>We had a few instance of Sobig-C which got through this morning !
>
>Sophos sent out an alert at 3:54 am. I have this arranged (via a mail
>alias) to run sophos-autoupdate immediately. However, we did not detect
>any Sobig-C viruses until after 8 am (when MS was automatically
>restarted, as happens every 4 hours).
>
>Perhaps sophos-autoupdate should restart MS ?

If using "sophos" rather than "sophossavi", then the command-line scanner
is run separately for each batch of messages. So there isn't anything to
restart, the new IDE files will get picked up immediately.

If you are using "sophossavi" then MailScanner will notice that the Sophos
files have been modified and will restart immediately.
--
Julian Field