Exim+MailScanner - not always queuing mail on "in" side

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Mon Jun 2 14:01:07 IST 2003

Tim Bishop <tim-lists at BISHNET.NET> wrote:

>I'm running MailScanner with Exim on FreeBSD. This isn't strictly a
>MailScanner problem, but I suspect it's related to the way I've set Exim
>up to work with MailScanner.

Yes.

>The problem is that occasionally (but not always) locally generated
>messages such as cron output don't get deferred by the incoming exim.
>From my understanding of Exim it seems that it's ignored the queue_only,
>then tried to defer it. Then, for some reason, it's decided to fail
>the message.

This is probably because the hints database for the incoming exim says
that addresses have been failing for such a long time that they bounce
immediately. You need to check that the spool directory configurations
for the incoming and outgoing exims are correct and that they are being
run with the correct commands, and check that /var/spool/exim_incoming/db
is empty (as it should be if the queue_only option is working).

Tony.
CAPE WRATH TO RATTRAY HEAD INCLUDING ORKNEY: MAINLY SOUTHEAST TO SOUTH OR
SOUTHWEST 4 OR 5 BUT VARIABLE 2 OR 3 FOR A TIME IN THE NORTH AND WEST.
THUNDERY RAIN AT FIRST WITH MIST OR FOG PATCHES, MAINLY FAIR LATER. MODERATE
OR POOR BECOMING MAINLY GOOD. SLIGHT TO MODERATE.