Spamassassin not working except when called manually. Perl problem ?

Denis Croombs denis at CROOMBS.ORG
Thu Jul 31 21:57:19 IST 2003

I have been asked to look at a RedHat 7.3 Mail server for someone that is
using Mailscanner 4.22-5, Spamassassin 2.55, with DCC & the Bayers is loaded
with over 4000 spams, but the only entry in the processed mail header is
normally that the mail has been blacklisted or
like:-X-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=0, required
5.0,  USER_AGENT_PINE)
If I run the spamassassin -D <input_file it does a DCC & bayers check &
gives the mail a score of over 14 !
I have also done a spamassassin -D -lint and double checked that both the
DCC & bayers are listed OK.
The only thing I can find that is wrong is that there are 2 copies of perl
installed,
1)    in /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/
2)    in /usr/local/lib/perl6/5.8.0/

The spamassassin appears to be installed into the second one.
I believe I need to get rid of the second copy of perl but do not know how
to do that.

I have 2 questions,
1)    Am I correct in believing the problem relates to the 2 copies of perl
?
2)    How do I remove the second copy of perl ?

Thanks

Denis