permission problems

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Tue Jul 29 12:42:31 IST 2003

I run MailScanner as user and group mail for security reasons. But the
installation requires me to run install.sh as root.

This creates all files as root. So I have to change all ownerships back
to mail after installation. That I can understand.

But the installation also changes the ownership of /var/spool/mqueue.in.
Even when the ownership was correct (mail.mail). That is a problem
because when I forget to change this no e-mail is accepted.

The strange part is that the installation doesn't change
/var/spool/MailScanner nor /var/spool/mqueue. Can't the script be
changed as to leave the ownerships of files intact or to use the old
owner when overwriting a file?

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)