Spamassassin timeout results in MS 100% CPU and server lockup (correction)

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Mon Jul 28 04:23:07 IST 2003

A possible correction. I may have been wrong in my conclusion that it was a group of email sthat came in last night that caused this problem to manifest.
After running through the logs, I was quite surprised at how many SA timeout assasinations had started taking place in the early hours of the morning, right about the time of the first crash I described. Tonight I finished sanitizing the in queue, and started everything up again...

The problem came right back. I could not believe that it was more of the type of messages that came in last night, so perhaps my first conclusion was flawed. I started looking for what else might have changed on my server about the time all this started. I found it...

My Bayes finally hit 200 hams, and started working at 1:56 AM this morning. Prior to that time, my auto-learn had not accumulated enough hams for Bayes to start functioning. So, I just disabled Bayes, and viola! No more SA timeouts and deaths.

So, it wasn't some mysterious evil messages that caused the timeouts, but Bayes kicking in.

HOWEVER! Even with the cause of the timeouts figured out, I still have my PRIMARY concern: Why are MS children that encounter an SA timeout and death taking over my server with extrememly high ram and cpu usage, that eventually crowd out every other process and crash the server? THAT is my primary issue.

All help and insight is sure appreciated!
-Alan