need help with mailscanner and spamassassin

Dave Wood mailscanner_question at COMCAST.NET
Thu Jul 24 18:17:28 IST 2003

RedHat 9
MailScanner 4.22-5
SpamAssassin 2.55

I've installed SpamAssassin and MailScanner and I've configured
MailScanner to use SpamAssassin.  When I start MailScanner, however,
/var/log/maillog fills with:
MailScanner[3625]: SpamAssassin installation could not be found
As a result of this, MailScanner never starts up properly and messages
queue up and are not delivered.  Messages are delivered properly if I
change MailScanner.conf to not use spamassassin.

I can run spamassassin -D --lint as root and it appears to be configured
properly and run fine.  MailScanner also runs as root just as a system
service.

Does anybody have any idea what would cause this or how I can make
MailScanner recognize SpamAssassin?

Thanks,
Dave