storing spam and ham as mbox files

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Thu Jul 17 17:06:40 IST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:55:58PM +0100, Spicer, Kevin wrote:
> > No; I tried that. The MX won't relay back to this machine, or indeed
> > to any other machine; stuff goes to the MX (Lotus Notes) and thence
> > to Dave Null if addressed to the MX.
> >
> But it should never leave the machine if addressed to localhost
> (presuming you're using sendmail) - it should be passed to procmail
> for local delivery. Unless that is you have configured your box with a
> smarthost (but then presumably you wouldn't be scanning outgoing mail
> in that case?)

Sendmail is configured with the Lotus server as a smarthost, for
reasons related to the overall (ugly) setup of the firewall and Lotus
server, and to management paranoia^Wconcerns.

All mail that comes into this box goes to the Notes server,

I can't do anything about it now. Before I retired and came back as
a contract peon, I was #2 in the IT division and *still* couldn't do
anything about it; I tried. Now I have absolutely zero stroke.

So, within the "all mail inbound to this box will definitely go to the
Notes server and stay there" constraint, what can I do to preserve ham
and spam on the MailScanner box as something other than queuefiles?

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin since 1964