outbound mail gets stuck when MailScanner running

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Jul 15 09:17:50 IST 2003

Replying to myself!  Having now read other messages in the thread (maillog entries)I now realise I'm talking ****, please ignore me!

-----Original Message-----
From: Spicer, Kevin
Sent: 15 July 2003 09:13
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: outbound mail gets stuck when MailScanner running

If you're working in a chroot environment and send a mail, using the 'mail' command, mail starts a sendmail process, but that sendmail is within the chroot itself and so can't see the real system mailqueue (or its configuration?).  Is that your problem?
You could try using pine (or similar) configured to send mail to locahost:25 rather than invoking sendmail directly.  You could even hijack the mail command in the chroot environment and replace it with smtpclient ( http://www.engelschall.com/sw/smtpclient/)