MS Performance

Tony Johansson tony.johansson at SVENSKAKYRKAN.SE
Tue Jul 15 08:20:29 IST 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:30:11 -0700, Ken Anderson <ka at PACIFIC.NET> wrote:

>A possible bottleneck is syslog, since both sendmail & MS are very busy
>adding log entries to the maillog, though I haven't done any testing to
>see if this is really a problem.

Have you tried turning off fsync on the maillogs?

>From "Sendmail performance tuning" by Nick Christenson (highly recommended):
"On Linux systems, by default the syslog daemon will fsync() its log files
after each entry is written to them. On a busy email server, this operation
can cause a measurable slowdown. In most organizations, email server logs
aren't so critical. This behaviour can be switched off by preceding the
appropriate entry in the /etc/syslog.conf file with "-":
mail.* -/var/adm/mail    "

regards, Tony