emails with No Message Collected

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Jul 14 10:57:37 IST 2003

kfliong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have this problem where some of the outgoing mails are received as
> <<< No Message Collected >>>.
>
> All the contents including attachments are ripped and only left with
> this message "<<< No Message Collected >>>".

Thats a sendmail error - probably you have a sendmail process which is trying to process the incoming queue, which leads to a race condition between mailscanner and sendmail.  Sometimes MailScanner gets the message, sometimes sendmail gets the message, sometimes mailscanner gets the message, sometimes theres a draw, mailscanner gets the message - sendmail only gets the headers - but sendmail delivers first, therefore the second (full) copy (from MailScanner) is discarded as a duplicate (same messageid).  You can verify if this is the case by grepping your maillogs for affected message ids.  When this happened to me it was caused by an exchange server issuing ETRN's - make sure your MailScanner init script is starting sendmail with the noetrn option.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.