Spamassassin timed out

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Jul 11 19:14:29 IST 2003

At 10:59 AM 7/11/2003 -0700, Damian Mendoza wrote:
>Any ideas why I receive SpamAssassin timed out errors? It occurs every day
>and I have not been able resolve why it happens. I've removed RBLs from
>MailScanner.conf. I'm using DCC and Razor. I have multiple T1 connections
>to the Internet dedicated just for SMTP messages - about 6500 messages a day.
>
>Jul 11 10:38:38 spamgate MailScanner[21117]: SpamAssassin timed out and
>was killed, consecutive failure 4 of 20
>Jul 11 10:38:43 spamgate MailScanner[20984]: SpamAssassin timed out and
>was killed, consecutive failure 4 of 20
>Jul 11 10:38:52 spamgate MailScanner[21233]: SpamAssassin timed out and
>was killed, consecutive failure 3 of 20
>Jul 11 10:39:20 spamgate MailScanner[21117]: SpamAssassin timed out and
>was killed, consecutive failure 5 of 20
>Jul 11 10:39:24 spamgate MailScanner[20884]: SpamAssassin timed out and
>was killed, consecutive failure 4 of 20
>
>Usually the consecutive failure remains less than 8. Should I worry about
>these errors?

Yes you should worry about it. SA is likely calling an RBL that is dead and
timing out.

What version of SA are you using?

If not a current version, VISI and ORBS both seem to be down and should
have zeroed scores. Add the following to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.
VISI was removed from the ruleset somewhere around 2.54, but ORBS is
currently only removed in the CVS versions:

     score RCVD_IN_VISI                   0
     score RCVD_IN_ORBS         0

What is your spamassassin timeout set to in mailscanner.conf? What is your
rbl_timeout set to in spamassassin (note: this is not a mailscanner.conf
setting)?

If both are 30, you should set the RBL timeout in SA to something smaller?
I'd suggest the following change to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf to
reduce the impact of RBL outages:
         rbl_timeout 10