Upgrade spamassassin

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Jul 11 17:52:46 IST 2003

At 08:55 AM 7/11/2003 -0700, William Curley wrote:
>If you are upgrading from a tar file, there should be no problem upgrading
>from
>previous versions. There should be an UPGRADE File or maybe some text in the
>INSTALL file. I personally have never had problems upgrading.

It should go just fine.. however, be aware that if you (improperly) edited
files in /usr/share/spamassassin, they will be obliterated by the upgrade
process. (the installer does a rm -f on this directory). Move any
customizations to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf or MailScanner's
spam.assassin.prefs.conf.

There have only been two occasions where I've had upgrade problems:

The first was when I had made a subdirectory under /usr/share/spamassassin
for some backups. The install failed because it couldn't clean out
/usr/share/spamassassin.

The second was when I upgraded via CPAN and I had a buggy version of CPAN
that tried to install a whole new copy of perl in /usr/local/*. I wound up
with two copies of SA and two copies of perl. That was a mess to clean up..