Allow multiple filename extensions?

Tony Finch dot at DOTAT.AT
Fri Jul 11 15:32:56 IST 2003

Tom Combs <combs at MAGNET.FSU.EDU> wrote:

>  I'm not clear on the need for denying multiple filename extensions.
>  It seems if an attachment contained a virus, it would be checked by
>  the virus scanner and either caught or cleared regardless of the
>  extension.  Does having multiply filename extensions somehow
>  circumvent this process?

It's aimed more at social engineering attacks, or as a backup protection
strategy for the time between a virus getting out and the scanner database
being updated.

The problem is that Windows often hides a file's extension which means
names like info.txt.exe might fool users.

To reduce the number of false positives I've added more known-safe file
extensions fo the list, e.g. .doc, .pdf, etc.

Tony.
FISHER: WEST VEERING NORTHWEST 4 OR 5, INCREASING 6. SHOWERS. GOOD.