Allow multiple filename extensions?

Mike Dunderdale mdunder at GE.UCL.AC.UK
Fri Jul 11 15:33:04 IST 2003

The reason that the double extensions are disallowed is because it's a
known method of trying to fool users, in particular Outlook Express, into
running programs. Certain windows programs only show the first of the two
extensions, thus  fooling the user into thinking that they're opening one
sort of file (eg a document .doc) instead of opening a nasty script (.vbs)

That's the sort of attack which may not be a virus per se, but will still
do nasty things to your users computer.

Hence the double extension rule.

I'd just encourage your users to put it all into a correctly named zip
file - bypassing this kind of check and reducing bandwidth into the
bargain.

M.