Where do I start debugging?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Fri Jul 11 00:19:49 IST 2003

Ok, so now I have some spam coming to my filtering domain, but mailscanner
is behaving unexpectedly and I'm not sure where to look in order to figure
out why.

I have Log Spam = yes and logging is showing up in syslog, but I'm hoping
there's more logging going somewhere else I'm not aware of.

I've discovered (by reversing the my work in order till everything worked
again) that these two statements in MailScanner.conf cause it to do bad
things - messages seem to disappear into the void.  Perhaps I should mention
that this is version 4.21-9.

Any suggestions?

Spam Actions = attachment
High Scoring Spam Actions = attachment

If I change those back to the default (deliver), then I successfully get
message subjects tagged as spam, but I'd prefer to have MailScanner
repackage the messages as attachments.

When I have the actions set to 'attachment', sometimes I even get the syslog
message that says "actions are attachment".  Usually I just get "Spam
Checks: Starting" and "Virus and Content Scanning: Starting", followed by
"Uninfected: Delivered" and then sendmail's log entry stating it delivered
the message.

Most troubling is that even though sendmail logs an entry stating it handed
off the message, the message doesn't arrive.  Not even sure how that could
be related to mailscanner...

-t.