OT Re: Why won't my mail forward?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 22:14:45 IST 2003

What I think would be the best idea (and may well be what you are already
thinking) is to announce, when needed, that a thread is being moved to the
OT list until it is resolved or further assistance from the main list is
required, at which point it is moved back to the main list. So it becomes
an ad hoc discussion forum that is used when needed, but questions still
start life on the main list. They are only moved when it is obvious there
is going to need to be a lot of OT discussion to resolve the issues. That
way no-one needs to regularly read the OT list unless they want to partake
in a particular discussion that has been moved there.

I mostly want to avoid people having to regularly read anything other than
the main list.

It would be really good if you could set up the mailing list software with
a filter that recognised messages whose subject doesn't start with "Re:"
(or any reasonable translations of that). It could then reply to the sender
that new discussions should not start there, as no-one may be reading it at
the time.