postfix + Mailscanner probs - sorted

Samuel Luxford-Watts slwatts at WINCKWORTHS.CO.UK
Thu Jul 3 16:23:12 IST 2003

sorry guys - I guess I am getting tyred. I found the problem and cant
believe its taken me so long to spot it.

/etc/postfix.in/main.cf had an extra defer_transports line at the end of the
file which was blank.

All sorted now!

Sam

-----Original Message-----
From: Samuel Luxford-Watts [mailto:slwatts at WINCKWORTHS.CO.UK]
Sent: 03 July 2003 15:25
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: postfix + Mailscanner probs

Hi All,

This is probably a REALLY dumb question, but at the moment I cannot see why
this is happening.....

I followed through all the instructions for getting suse, postfix and
mailscanner running. All seemed to work fine, but I couldnt figure out why
mailscanner wasnt stripping viruses from attachments.

In the end I stopped all the services, then ran

postfix -c /etc/postfix.in start

This to my mind should only start the inbound mail process, so the server
receives emails and stores them in /var/spool/postfix.in. Well on my server
its actually forwarding the mail as well.

I have checked for the defer_transports line and that is present and correct
in /etc/postfix.in/main.cf.

The only thing I can think of is that I have altered /etc/postfix/transports
to read:

dest.test        smtp:[192.168.25.95]

where dest.test is my internal test mail domain and the ip address is of our
test exchange server. my /etc/postfix.in/main.cf file is still pointing to
/etc/postfix various files. I am trying to configure an email gateway which
is listed as a primary MX host for our domain, filters and strips
viruses/spam and forwards those emails to our exchange server. if I do not
add this line to transport then I get a mail loop error because the
mailscanner server thinks its the best MX host for dest.test.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

Sam