McAfee Auto Update

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Wed Jul 2 14:02:46 IST 2003

I keep telling everybody that whenever my McAfee DAT files are updated I
get an email.  It is true but it is because I asked it to...

For people who would be interested, here is how I do it in root's
crontab:
# McAfee update
17,47 * * * * /usr/lib/MailScanner/mcafee-autoupdate 2>&1 | /usr/local/bin/post-cron-results "$(uname -n) : MAJ McAfee" me at USherbrooke.ca

The /usr/local/bin/post-cron-results script looks like this (I just did
a quick translation to English):
#!/bin/bash
#
# Script sending text received on stdin by email to all recipients listed
# on the command line (separated by spaces).  Subject of the message is the
# first parameter on the command line.
#
# Denis Beauchemin, le 20001011.

/bin/cat - > /tmp/poste-resultats.$$

if [[ $# -lt 2 ]]; then
        echo "Error! Wrong number of paramèters for ${0##*/}"
        echo "Use: ${0##*/} \"Subjet of the message\" destination [ destination ]"
        exit
fi

sujet="$1"
shift
if [[ -s /tmp/poste-resultats.$$ ]]; then
   /bin/mail -s "$sujet" "$*" < /tmp/poste-resultats.$$
fi

rm /tmp/poste-resultats.$$

Basically, this script (which works just fine on all my Red Hat boxes)
won't send you any email if the command feeding it input doesn't produce
any.  Useful in cron files because you otherwise always get an email (or
never get any if you redirect everything in /dev/null).

So it looks like I am still paranoid and am still looking for updates
twice every hour! ;-)

Denis

--
Denis Beauchemin, analyste