MailScanner + Sophos: a serious bug?

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Wed Jul 2 09:58:41 IST 2003

Re. my earlier messages about Sophos sometimes missing Sobig variants in
messages.

I switched on quarantining of virus containing messages and believe I
can now see what is going on. In fact the problem is not just limited to
Sobig (the most common infection at present) but to Yaha.G as well and
most probably all other viruses.

It seems that Sophos will not recognise viruses, including at least
Yaha.G and all variants of Sobig, when the message being scanned is a
bounce/error return message which contains the whole of the original
message, including the zipped attachment with the virus/worm in it.

At this site McAfee but not Sophos recognises the virus in such a
message.

Two questions:

1. Is this a problem with MailScanner's parsing of messages or with the
A-V product it calls and to which it passes the message contents?

2. How serious is it if such a message is delivered intact?

I would like to understand the problem and its possible consequences a
bit better before I forward some example messages to Sophos.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.
"Any opinion expressed above is mine. The University can get its own."