mailscanner timeout on virus updates...?

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Jul 1 15:34:14 IST 2003

I've just seen this happen too, caused me a big backlog.  I've disabled Clam for the time being (its not my only scanner), but some kind of timeout would be really helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK]
Sent: 30 June 2003 19:15
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: mailscanner timeout on virus updates...?

At 19:04 30/06/2003, you wrote:

Is there a way to set mailscanner to timeout when it's waiting on the virus update script(s)?  My installation of MailScanner and ClamAV was stuck and just queueing messages again today, because the ClamAV update program was hung for some reason.  I've sent a message to that list to see if there's a solution, but I was also wondering if there's a way to set a timeout value for MailScanner if the virus update script doesn't complete in a certain amount of time.  Maybe even send an email to root or something to let them know that the script timed out...

It won't make it into the July release, but I could knock up a sample autoupdate script that wraps the update in a timeout. This is probably best placed in the global updater actually.

Let me think on that, and the best way to do it...

--
Julian Field
www.MailScanner.info <http://www.mailscanner.info/>

BMRB International