Spam.whitelist.rules file question

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 12:27:57 GMT 2003

At 12:21 30/01/2003, you wrote:
>So you are saying that he needed to put 194.205.110.133 instead or in
>addition to?

Instead.

Normally the thing in the rule is (a pattern matching) the email address.
But if it doesn't contain any letters, it interprets it as (a pattern
matching) the IP address.

There currently isn't a way of matching the hostname by name, only by number.

I think that relying on the hostname is actually not very good, as you
leave yourself open to simple DNS attacks. Say "nasty.com" own the IP
address range 1.2.3.*. If they setup their DNS server so that the reverse
record for 1.2.3.4 claims to be "mail.good.com" instead of
"mail.nasty.com", then any mail from 1.2.3.4 will be treated by your server
as being from "mail.good.com" instead of "something.nasty.com".

To be sure this isn't happening to you, you have to do forward and reverse
lookups and check they all match and are consistent with each other. This
takes time to execute, and I haven't written it yet.

--
Julian Field