Sophos first impressions

Didier Belhomme didier.belhomme at FUNDP.AC.BE
Wed Jan 22 18:09:54 GMT 2003

At 16:49 22/01/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>>I haven't called Sophos about it yet, and I do know
>>that they primarily use MailScanner for their testing of virus scanning
>>in emails
>
>Do they now? What about their new MailMonitor product? They became a lot
>less friendly to MailScanner after they launched MailMonitor, I don't think
>the bosses liked staff recommending their competition.

Sad. We didn't choose MailMonitor since it was like a "black box", without
any indication of how the product work internally. Moreover, but things
could have changed by now, there were no anti-relay provision in the base
product, which would require us to put a supplemental e-mail server for
incoming mail. Our setup now is quite stable now, running on 2 Sun Fire
V100 servers (box @ 4000 EUR VAT included, with 3 years of Gold Support !)
running Solaris 8 and processing about 14-15 thousands messages a day.

We switched from McAfee to Sophos right yesterday, and the whole
installation process took about 3 minutes to complete.

That's to say again that you did (and are still doing) a very nice job
Julian ! I hope you'll not be doing the same thing with MailScanner than
what happened to SpamAssassin (now bought by NAI I think).

Didier Belhomme
FUNDP - Service informatique universitaire - Support systèmes UNIX
Rue Grandgagnage, 21 B-5000 Namur
Tel : +32 81 725025
Fax: +32 81 725023
E-mail : didier.belhomme at fundp.ac.be