Which Virus Scanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jan 22 11:35:30 GMT 2003

At 09:35 22/01/2003, you wrote:
>Rather than me testing all of the virus scanners that MailScanner supports,
>I thought it would be quicker to hear your opions on which virus scanner(s)
>you have found to be the easiest to install and keep fully updated. I have
>tried Sophos, which works well, but updating the virus engine is a bit of a
>pain.

Note that I have no connection with any of the virus-scanner publishers.
These are purely my personal opinion having used a few of them.

In my view, Sophos is the best. You only have to update the engine once
every 2 or 3 months, and it's dead easy with my "Sophos.install" script.

F-Prot has a good reputation too. Kaspersky is a bizarre piece of software
(see some of my previous postings about Kaspersky for more info). F-Secure
is a broken clone of F-Prot, the original is far better.

Take a look at
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/codestatus.shtml to see
what level of support I nominally give them. Don't read too much into that,
but it might help you.

>Also, are there any which are free and support by MailScanner ?

ClamAV.
Also, for personal use only, F-Prot is free.
--
Julian Field