upgrading v3 to v4

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 20 16:57:07 GMT 2003

At 14:46 20/01/2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Being a happy v3 user for quite a while now, I'm finally taking the plunge to
>step up to v4.
>
>Are there any pitfalls to be aware of, or is upgrade now a nice easy process
>?
>
>I'm running:
>redhat7.0
>sendmail-8.12.3
>mailscanner 3.23-3
>f-prot (frisk)
>
>Thanks for any suggestions,

Do *not* attempt to just use your existing mailscanner.conf. You need to
customise MailScanner.conf from scratch to build an equivalent system. If
you used things like selectively scanning some domains, spam
white/blacklists and things like that then read up on the "rules" files and
the examples and docs in the /etc/MailScanner/rules directory.

Remove any daily cron jobs you have to do things like update f-prot. The
new "global updater" will update every hour for you.

Just before you start the new one, make sure the old one is properly killed
off. And make sure neither the new one nor the old one is running when you
want to finally crank up the whole system. The new one might well be kicked
into action (with a half-configured setup) by the hourly cron job that
makes sure it is running. So it's a good idea to stop the incoming sendmail
thoroughly so that you don't get any mail processed while you are setting
it up.

Don't try to do it in a rush, it will probably take you a couple of hours
or so. But don't worry, future upgrades will be a *much* quicker job.
--
Julian Field