Confused operator, server down ...

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Fri Jan 17 11:19:31 GMT 2003

Julian Field wrote:

> >Everything in both sendmail.mc and submit.mc looks rational, although I don't
> >have a copy from a week ago to compare with. Both are set to localhost,
> >127.0.0.1.
> >
> >If I send a message outside the system from the command line it never gets
> >there. Messages from outside aren't getting in, I just got a notice that a
> >message I sent 24 hours ago hasn't been delivered, "Connection refused."
> >
> >Telnet to port 25 from outside also gets "Connection refused."
>
> That will be because you set the DaemonOptions to only listen on localhost,
> 127.0.0.1.

Okay, I guess I had it backwards. I thought the new trick was to have submit.mc/cf
handle the outside world, with sendmail.mc/cf restricted to localhost. Now that
I've got DaemonOptions set for the public address in sendmail.mc,
/var/spool/mqueue.in is accumulating a lot of mail.

Alas, /var/spool/mqueue isn't growing at all yet. Every five seconds (yes, I
changed the default, it seemed harmless) I get this in maillog:

Jan 17 03:09:34 verbose MailScanner[13023]: MailScanner
Jan 17 03:09:34 verbose MailScanner[13023]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
version 4.11-1 starting...

In top and ps I see frequent entries like this one from ps aux:
root     13069  4.6  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    03:10   0:00 [MailScanner
<defunct>]

> Do
> sendmail -bv root
> to see where sendmail will actually try to deliver the message.

[root at verbose mail]# sendmail -bv vanhorn
vanhorn... deliverable: mailer local, user vanhorn
[root at verbose mail]# sendmail -bv root
vanhorn... deliverable: mailer local, user vanhorn

But as far as I can see it doesn't actually try to deliver anything.

So I'm getting closer, but I'm not there yet. Any more places to check?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,