Adding a mail header...

Scott Adkins adkinss at OHIO.EDU
Tue Jan 14 14:55:22 GMT 2003

--On Tuesday, January 14, 2003 8:55 AM +0000 Julian Field
<mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:

> At 22:05 13/01/2003, you wrote:
>> So, what I would like is to have a line like the following added to
>> emails that are touched by MailScanner:

> Do you want this in messages which MailScanner was configured not to scan
> as well as those it did scan?
> Or do you want it only in messages which MailScanner was configured to
> scan?
>
> What does anyone else want?

My guess is that if MailScanner is doing any checks of any kind, that it
should stick in the header.  Even if we configured all the checks to be
off (what, that would be Spam Checking, Spam Assassin, Virus Scanning,
Filename Checking, Blacklist Lookups, anything else?), which means that
MailScanner is just moving messages from the input queue to the output
queue, that we should still have the header inserted.  If we didn't want
that, we could comment out the "Information Header" config option and be
done with it.

You know, I am surprised that you don't have an X-MailScanner-Version
header line in there.  :-)

Anyways, I have been pleased with the ease of use for MailScanner, and
feel I still have a lot to learn about it.  We are still fighting a lot
of performance issues on our server, and we are still tracking it down.
The server supports about 2000 concurrent users logging in and checking
their email, and doing mail processing with spam/virus checking turned
on just throws the server over the edge.  Of course, it doesn't help
when we are delivering close to 50,000 emails in an hours worth of time
either :-)

Scott
      Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
   UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss at ohio.edu
        ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
     PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/