mail not being scanned after reboot althought MailScanner was running

Joe Quinn joe at QITC.CO.UK
Tue Jan 14 14:56:47 GMT 2003

Hi,

I'm running version 4.11-1 on a RaQ3

Strange thing this morning, I noticed an email coming in from a source that
would normally have been tagged as spam but wasn't.

I had a look at the header and sure enough, no indication that MailScanner
had checked it???

I ran the top command and it showed MailScanner was running a few processes
then tailed the maillog which showed mail coming in but no scan???

I traced the exact time the problem arose back to a reboot I did;

reboot   system boot  2.2.16C32_III    Sun Jan 12 23:28         (1+11:23)

prior to this all was OK but after this, no scanning.

I stopped MailScanner then started it again after checking it was definitely
stopped;

[root at raq1 /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner stop
Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
         MailScanner:       ERROR!
         incoming sendmail: sendmail ok
         outgoing sendmail: sendmail ok
[root at raq1 /root]# ps -auxww | grep -i mail
root       439  0.0  0.0  1192  456 pts/0    S    10:53   0:00 grep -i mail
[root at raq1 /root]# ps -auxww | grep -i mail
[root at raq1 /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner start

All is now OK and mail is definitely being scanned but what caused the
problem, any ideas?

Joe Quinn, QITC Internet Solutions (joe at qitc.co.uk)
www.qitc.net