SV: Performance Enhancements

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 10 20:06:46 GMT 2003

At 20:03 10/01/2003, you wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Julian Field wrote:
>
> > >I see spamd running on my MailScanner boxes (default rpm install of
> > >spamassassin)
> > >I guess I could just "chkconfig spamassassin off" and MailScanner
> would run
> > >just as well as before then?
> >
> > Indeed. You don't need spamd running. You might want to do
> >          service spamassassin stop
> > as well.
> > --
> > Julian Field
>
>Are you sure about this?

Yes.

>   Won't running
>
>service spamassassin stop
>
>turn off spamassassin not just spamd.  I think you just want to make sure
>that you've stopped spamd not all of spamassassin...right?

The core of SpamAssassin is just a function library, which MailScanner
calls directly. All
         service spamassassin stop
can do is stop spamd. There is no way of "turning off" SpamAssassin
completely, because it is a function library which my code calls, not a
background service provided by another process.
--
Julian Field

.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses

.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses