OT: Dynamically updating /etc/mail/access

Ben C. O. Grimm mailscanner-sub at WIREHUB.NET
Thu Jan 9 19:54:23 GMT 2003

On 9 Jan 2003 18:29:40 +0100, "Andrew M. Hoying" <andrewh at CQG.COM> wrote:

> I'm including the spamassassin list in this because I think it is
> relevant there as well. Has anyone thought about starting some kind of
> distributed (like razor and dcc) or community (like spamassassin) based
> effort to build a near real time access list like this? Obviously this
> list doesn't catch everything. If there was a way to submit new items
> for the list to be reviewed and added by a large group of users, or
> automatically tested and added in some cases, I think it could be even
> more effective. Not that I'm unhappy with 70-80% of spam getting blocked
> by the current access list at my site, but more is always better.

We get about 50-100 spam samples every day (we don't need more, thanks ..)
and use them to update our lists. Please note that this list only handles
1/3 of our spam filters. The blackholes.wirehub.net DNSBL is just as
important. Both databases have a degree of 'self-learning'. Hits on the
address/domain blocks find their way into the IP-based blockers (when a
patterns emerges), and new spamming domains from already listed IPs get
added to the spamlist. Any of the blockers will get you a nice result;
combining them is the way to go.

--
- Ben C. O. Grimm ----------------- Ben.Grimm at wirehub.net -
- Wirehub! Internet Engineering - http://www.wirehub.net/ -