MailScanner-MRTG problem

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USHERBROOKE.CA
Thu Jan 9 16:31:19 GMT 2003

I found my problem: mailscanner-mrtg was returning a number greater than
what would fit in a 32bit counter and MRTG uses 32bit counters (except
for some quite recent releases).

To correct it I changed from bytes to MBytes:

/etc/mrtg/mailscanner-mrtg.cfg:
Target[mailbytes]: `/usr/sbin/mailscanner-mrtg mailbytes`
Title[mailbytes]: Bytes of Mail Processed
Background[mailbytes]: #ffffff
PageTop[mailbytes]: <H1>MBytes of Mail Processed</H1>
WithPeak[mailbytes]: wmy
Directory[mailbytes]: mailbytes
MaxBytes[mailbytes]: 4096
AbsMax[mailbytes]: 8192
YLegend[mailbytes]: MBytes
ShortLegend[mailbytes]: &nbsp;Mbytes &nbsp; &nbsp;
Legend1[mailbytes]: Average MBytes
Legend2[mailbytes]:
Legend3[mailbytes]: Maximum MBytes
Legend4[mailbytes]:
LegendI[mailbytes]: :
LegendO[mailbytes]:

I also modified /usr/sbin/mailscanner-mrtg at the end of the MailBytes
function:
  close LOG;

  # Mod to convert in MB
  $Total /= 1024 * 1024;

  if ($debug) {
    Debug("Total", $Total);
    Debug("Leaving sub Mail");
  }
}

and deleted all my data in the mailbytes directory where MRTG puts its
logs and graphs.

Denis

--
Denis Beauchemin, analyste