SpamAssassin timeout

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Tue Jan 7 15:34:11 GMT 2003

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> At 12:56 07/01/2003, you wrote:
> >[...]
> >Around 11:00 GMT/UT yesterday (Mon 6th Jan), I noticed our MailScanner
> >inbound queue similarly started piling up and not clearing.  Likewise we
> >got SpamAssassin timeouts and I ended up inserting "skip_rbl_checks 1"
> >into "spam.assassin.prefs.conf" which seemed to avoid the immediate
> >problem.
> >
> >As far as I know there were no local changes coincident with this (it had
> >been running happily since well before the Christmas holiday).
> >

> Have a look in your maillog for
>          SpamAssassin timed out and was killed
> This should be followed by the failure number, which will hopefully slowly
> count up from 1. What log entries have you got of this type?

Yes, I saw those, and the numbers (e.g "failure 272 of 20"(!)) supported
the conviction that something was wrong deep within the bowels of
SpamAssassin.

   Jan  6 14:24:38 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8198]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 270 of 20
   Jan  6 14:24:41 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8162]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 271 of 20
   Jan  6 14:24:46 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8129]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 272 of 20
   Jan  6 14:25:01 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8185]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 270 of 20
   Jan  6 14:25:03 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8211]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 271 of 20
   Jan  6 14:25:09 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8198]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 271 of 20
   Jan  6 14:25:12 mailrelay1 MailScanner[8162]: SpamAssassin timed out and was killed, consecutive failure 272 of 20

Hence my earlier question:

> >Is there someone on this list who knows the murky depths of SpamAssassin
> >and their interaction with MailScanner?  (I don't!)  My suspicion is that
> >some RBL check, called from SpamAssassin, is in trouble, and that
> >SpamAssassin's timeouts (either internally or as guided somehow by
> >MailScanner) are not behaving properly.

Hope that helps.