sendmail 8.12.7 squawking after MS 4.11-1 upgrade

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 2 17:54:25 GMT 2003

At 16:31 02/01/2003, you wrote:
>Gang,
>    I upgraded from Mailscanner 4.10-1 to 4.11-1 this morning.
>Afterwords, sendmail 8.12.7 starting complaining:
>
>[ID 702911 mail.warning] File descriptors
>     missing on startup: stderr; Bad file number
>
>I've seen a pile 'o these this morning.  I dropped back to 4.10-1
>and sendmail shut up.  I upgraded from 8.12.6 to 8.12.7 on Dec 31,
>so this may be a new feature/bug of sendmail.  The complaint above
>comes out of sendmail's main() routine.  A quick look at the
>sendmail code, and it looks like sendmail is checking that the stdio
>file descriptors are available, and complains if not.  Maybe stderr
>is closed/gone in MS when a sendmail process gets launched in 4.11-1?

MS 4.11 does indeed close all the stdout, stdin stderr. This means that the
forking off the daemon works properly, so you can close an SSH session that
started MailScanner.

If you look in /usr/sbin/MailScanner, you will find 3 consecutive "close("
function calls. Try commenting them out and see what happens. I might need
to add some code attempt to re-open them later, but I'm not 100% sure how
to do that yet. :-)
--
Julian Field