canadian mirror

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Fri Feb 28 17:16:01 GMT 2003

I've found that connectivity to the site is never an issue.

--
Derek Winkler
Security Administrator
Algorithmics Inc., Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Tel: (416) 217-4107
Fax: (416) 971-6263
www.algorithmics.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Field [mailto:mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk]
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 12:14 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at jiscmail.ac.uk
Subject: Re: canadian mirror

At 16:59 28/02/2003, you wrote:
>I was thinking of contributing a Canadian mirror for my North American
>colleagues.  The server I have in mind is located in a very nice spot for
>connectivity, etc...
>
>How would I get to mirror the contents? Any suggestions? rsync servers?
etc...

I would personally prefer not to have a mirror site. It's a very generous
offer, but it makes it much harder for me to work out all the site
statistics (number of unique sites visiting both servers, for example). It
is currently connected to a network which has a 20Gb core with 1Gb
trans-atlantic bandwidth. The slowest piece of the entire net is the
100BaseT connection from the server to the switch, everything after that
is >= 1Gb.

Is connectivity from Canada really bad?

I'm very grateful for the offer though :-)
--
Julian Field