Calling all translators

Steve Evans sevans at FOUNDATION.SDSU.EDU
Thu Feb 27 18:30:36 GMT 2003

This is from a co-worker. (Mexican heritage by the way)

I vote for the following:

English: Message was encrypted
Spanish: Mensaje estaba encriptado

English: Message was not encrypted
Spanish: Mensaje no estaba encriptado

The Spanish word "cifrado" could also be used but "encriptado" is more specific as "cifrado" could also mean encoded or even digitized.  Also, since English is the lingua franca of computing, encriptado has the same root as encrypted and is more likely to be adopted.

Steve Evans
SDSU Foundation
(619) 594-0653

-----Original Message-----
From: Mariano Absatz [mailto:mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 9:54 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Daniel,

this tense ("pretérito indefinido") it would seem that MailScanner did the encryption when I guess its just informing that the message was encrypted when MS read it. I would, then use the "pretérito imperfecto" tense. I would also use "encriptado" instead of "cifrado" but that is probably different in every Spanish speaking country. I don't recall if the word "encrypt" is in any of the other messages already translated by Luis Peromarta and myself.

Spanish is much richer than English in verbal tenses, hence the English simple past is translated to different tenses in different contexts.

My translations would be:
>        Message was encrypted
El mensaje estaba encriptado
 or
El mensaje estaba cifrado

>        Message was not encrypted
El mensaje no estaba encriptado
 or
El mensaje no estaba cifrado

Are you there, Luis? What do you think about it?
What about you, Daniel?

El 26 Feb 2003 a las 17:46, Daniel Bowen escribió:

> In Spanish:
>
> El mensaje fue cifrado.
>
> El mensaje no fue cifrado.
>

> On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 04:18PM, Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >
> >Please can you do me translations for
> >        Message was encrypted
> >and
> >        Message was not encrypted
> >
> >They are used in "virus reports" when detecting+blocking encrypted
> >and unencrypted messages.
> >
> >Thankyou all!
You're welcome!

--