MailScanner Spam Settings Bug? / Problems with SA 2.50

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 17:37:29 GMT 2003

At 15:20 25/02/2003, you wrote:
>I have made a couple observations regarding spam settings in the
>MailsCanner.conf file (v4.12-2), could someone offer a second opinion on
>the following:
>
>1.
>If "Spam Checks = no" and "Use SpamAssassin = yes" then SpamAssassin is
>not run at all, and no spam processing is done, the documentation is not
>very clear on this point.

Correct. The "Spam Checks" parameter covers *all* the spam checking.

>However if "Spam Checks = yes" and "Use SpamAssassin = yes" then
>SpamAssassin is run, but MailScanner also does internal spam checking,

correct.

>  and cannot be disabled simply by setting "Spam List = " and "Spam Domain
> List = " or by commenting both out.

Don't comment them out, set them to nothing and that should disable the
MailScanner RBL checks.

>2.
>Maybe this is a bug, but I'm not sure at this point; with SA 2.50
>installed; if you set
>     "Spam Checks = yes",
>     "Spam List = ",
>     "Spam Domain List = ",
>     "Use SpamAssassin = yes"
>
>then the following appears in the log file
>
>Feb 24 15:34:25 mailhost MailScanner[5658]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
>killed, consecutive failure 1 of 20
>Feb 24 15:34:36 mailhost MailScanner[5658]: RBL Check  timed out and was
>killed, consecutive failure 1 of 7
>Feb 24 15:34:52 mailhost MailScanner[5658]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
>killed, consecutive failure 2 of 20
>Feb 24 15:35:03 mailhost MailScanner[5658]: RBL Check  timed out and was
>killed, consecutive failure 2 of 7
>Feb 24 15:35:19 mailhost MailScanner[5658]: SpamAssassin timed out and was
>killed, consecutive failure 3 of 20
>
>It would apear that if you change to "Use SpamAssassin = no" , then the
>RBL Check timed out messages DO NOT appear in the syslog output. So maybe
>this is a bug or some kind of dependency on spam assassin that causes
>this??? But if SA times out this should not cause MailScanners internal
>RBL to timeout as well.

Agreed, unfortunately I have had difficulty reproducing this fault
reliably, which makes it hard to track down. If your SpamAssassin calls are
always timing out, then there is definitely something wrong anyway.

>This dependency on SA is why I suspect you cannot disable internal spam
>checking with MailScanner even if you set the Spam List check to null. I
>would much rather use SpamAssassin and not use MailScanner for spam
>checking at all.

Setting the "Spam List =" and "Spam Domain List =" should achieve that.

>Using the buggy SA 2.50, no emails were getting through the system at all,
>and the CPU utilization would jump to 100%. Since then I have uninstalled
>SA 2.50 and installed SA 2.44 and everything is back to normal.

Please see earlier discussion late yesterday, or the "News" section on
www.mailscanner.info for the solution to this.

--
Julian Field