Mailscanner not picking up messages

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 25 17:31:31 GMT 2003

At 14:49 25/02/2003, you wrote:
>Julian can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a MS process reads a
>batch of df/qf files, does all it's work in it's incoming processid
>directory, and when it's down, drops those into the outgoing queue
>folder.  Then it goes back to the mqueue.in and deletes the qf file and
>then df file.  So I think if you kill -9 Mailscanner during it's cleanup
>process, then it doesn't get completed.  If there is a df/qf file from
>that killed scan, then it just gets reprocessed.  If it's just a df file
>without a qf then it's ignores.  If there happens to be a qf left then I
>think it would deliver a blank message since the qf file is mostly the
>header and df is the body.  But I don't see any of these blank messages,
>so I think it deletes all those first and then deletes the df files.
>
>Is this how it works Julian?

You are basically correct. The key thing to remember is "Don't kill -9
MailScanner processes". If it is given a normal kill command it will finish
the clearup before exiting and leave your queues intact. If you kill -9
then I can't clearup at all and therefore half a message may be left in the
mqueue.in. The best way to stop it is using the init.d script which shuts
everything down cleanly. If you kill the main "parent" MailScanner process,
or else kill all the MailScanner processes, use a normal kill command and
then wait 5 - 10 seconds for the clearup to complete before using ps to see
if they have all gone. Don't expect them all to instantly die, they are
trying their best to clearup your system at that point.