SpamAssassin 2.50 Problems

Gerry Doris gerry at DORFAM.CA
Sun Feb 23 21:50:20 GMT 2003

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, John Rudd wrote:

> did you install via perl -MCPAN or via make?

I used MCPAN.  I usually use CPAN.  I've also tried using the RH 7.3 rpms
from the SA site.  There is no change.

> have you had ongoing cpu/load problems, just the problem at install time,
> or no such problem at all?

CPU load goes immediately to 100% just after I start MailScanner with SA
2.50 enabled.  I've gone back to 2.44 and that works as advertised.
Right now I'm not calling SA from MailScanner at all.  After MailScanner
does its thing I'm passing all messages through SA 2.50 called from
procmail.  That works.

> are you running perl 5.8.0?  (I really thought they had said SA 2.50 was
> going to require perl 5.8.0, but it seems like many people are running it
> under older versions)

I'm using Redhat stock 7.3 with perl 5.6.1.  I've seen nothing stating
5.8.0 is a prereq.

> did you stop mailscanner during the upgrade, restart mailscanner immediately
> after the upgrade, reboot immediately after the upgrade, or none of these?

I always stop MailScanner prior to any upgrades.  I mean "stop" not just
restart.  Once the CPU load goes to 100% I've found I have to try several
times to be sure all MailScanner processes terminate.

BTW, Net::DNS is installed.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer