Automating MailScanner.conf upgrades

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Mon Feb 17 20:11:05 GMT 2003

Thanks for this excellent script Julian!

This will save me tons of time when doing upgrades on several
servers.

Will the script be supplies with every version of MailScanner? Would it be
possible to have the script even detect a 4.x version of MailScanner and
have rpm run the script on the default installation paths?

That would make the upgrading process automagically :)

I tried it on my MS systems and it works like a charm!

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Julian Field wrote:

> Morning all,
>
> The biggest pain in doing an upgrade of MailScanner is working out what has
> changed between your current MailScanner.conf and the new one.
>
> So I have written a tool to help you do this. It will
> - copy over all your old settings into the new file
> - copy over all the comments you have added to settings
> - add the default settings for all new settings
> - delete obsolete settings
> - print a summary of what it has done,
>    including the settings that were added/removed
>
> It is attached to this message. To find out how to use it, just run it and
> it will tell you.
>
> The only time it will run into trouble is when the supplied value for a
> setting is commented out, and you have uncommented it. It can't tell the
> difference between lines like that and normal comments. So Exim users beware!
>
> It can't be perfect, but you should find it helps.

believed to be clean.