my other FREQ of the day

S Mohan smohan at vsnl.com
Mon Feb 17 00:27:43 GMT 2003

1. From what I have seen and read of postfix, it is a drop in
replacement for sendmail. Which means it works the same way and uses the
same configuration files. The one thing that could possibly vary is the
command line invocation with options that MalScanner script does.

2. I think the current design of MailScanner is ideal as it allows us to
use the MTA we want (atleast 2) and does not mess around trying to be an
MTA. As more options come around in the MTA like sendmail, we should be
able to use them. I'd trust a software that has been around and stable
for a long while instead of experimentation. Atleast in the current
scheme, if I know something is wrong with MailScanner, I shut it down
and start up sendmail as usual and I'm on without virus or spam
scanning.

3. Deamonised approach Vs individual instances. I'm not an expert but
hey, if either does the job with a 5% difference in efficiency, why
change?

Mohan