my other FREQ of the day

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Sun Feb 16 11:10:29 GMT 2003

On Sunday, Feb 16, 2003, at 01:58 US/Pacific, Julian Field wrote:

> At 23:38 15/02/2003, you wrote:
>
>> 3) somewhat related to #1 is that you cannot reject messages based
>> upon
>> results.  You can try to bounce them, after the fact, but that isn't
>> reliable (because you cannot trust the return addresses).  I'd rather
>> reject them outright.
>
> That's your MTA's job.

Yes, it should be the MTA's job, but the decision about what to reject
depends upon (or, in an ideal world, would involve) the results of what
Mailscanner has found.  Sort of a chicken and the egg thing --
mailscanner wont make a decision until after the MTA has accepted the
message, but if mailscanner finds something bad, then the MTA might
want to reject the message ... except that it already accepted it.