Upgrading from MS 3.23 to 4.12 on Trustix 1.5/Exim

Stephen Lee splee at PLEXIO.COM
Sat Feb 15 17:56:25 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 08:35, Julian Field wrote:
> At 16:28 15/02/2003, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 08:18, Stephen Lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to upgrade my MS 3.23 (from tar) to MS 4.12 on a Trustix
> > > 1.5/Exim box (uses RPM). Has anyone tried using the rpm version of MS on
> > > Trustix? Looking at the tarball version, I would need to scan for every
> > > reference to the /opt/MailScanner directory and change it to
> > > /usr/local/MailScanner. This is a rather large task considering the
> > > number of files under MailScanner/lib and regularity of MS updates. Or
> > > is there a better way to do it?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your suggestions.
> > > Stephen
> >
> >Or is it as simple as pointing /opt/MailScanner to
> >/usr/local/MailScanner?
>
> MailScanner 4 doesn't live in /usr/local/MailScanner by default any more. I
> would try the RPM route and see how you get on. It will install MailScanner
> into /usr/sbin, /usr/lib/MailScanner and /etc/MailScanner. But it installs
> all the required Perl modules first, which will definitely save you time.

It works now, thanks! Notes on how I got MS 4.12 rpm version to work
with Exim with Trustix 1.5:

1. The MS rpm installs fine. Very slick Julian!

2. Even though I set "Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/exim/input", MS
complained about " MailScanner[24486]: Error in configuration file line
72, directory /var/spool/mqueue for outqueuedir does not exist (or is
not readable)". I changed OutQueueDir in
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/ConfigDefs.pl from /var/spool/mqueue to
/var/spool/exim/input.

3. Changed ownership of /var/spool/MailScanner queues back to exim.exim

4. Made a bunch of changes to /etc/init.d/MailScanner to reflect mostly
Exim requirements and some Trustix specifics. I've attached the file.
With minor modifications, it also works on Redhat 7.3/Exim.

5. Previously installed Sophos 3.65 and Spamassassin 2.42 works fine.

Thanks for a great product!
Stephen