Sophos and Corrupt Files

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 16:54:19 GMT 2003

At 16:49 06/02/2003, you wrote:
> other.
> > >
> > >They may consider you to be competition, though.  When we were getting
> > >together our anti-virus solution this time last year, they said "buy
> > >SAVI from us, and we'll give our mail gateway for it for free".  But,
> > >instead, we went with mailscanner.  It wasn't a loss for them in our
> > >case, because they would have been giving it to us for free ... but
> > >how many sales for their mail gateway have they lost because you have
> > >a free thing in a similar market niche?  (and theirs might not do spam
> > >stuff)
> >
> > I would hope that I made them more sales in extra SAVI licences than I cost
> > them in lost MailMonitor sales. But maybe not :-)
>
>When I was talking to them and telling them that we were interested in
>using sophos in conjunction with mailscanner, their sales people didn't
>seem to have any trouble saying good things about mailscanner and the
>mailscanner-sophos combination.  Of course their educational pricing would
>have eaten about 30% of the IT budget for some of the small educational
>orgs I was hoping to use it for, so it never worked out.

But some of their sales people have never heard of it, and some of their
tech support staff blame it by default. I really don't understand them.
MessageLabs are much more polite (so far :-)

I haven't yet read the small print in their licence, but RAV sell their
Linux version for about $29 or something silly like that! I doubt anyone
can beat that on price (except Clam of course)!
--
Julian Field