Sophos and Corrupt Files

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 21:04:18 GMT 2003

At 19:04 05/02/2003, you wrote:
>The point is, we do see them here.  On the grand scheme of things, the
>number of corrupted documents is a small number compared to the number of
>documents that are fine and scan properly... but the ones that scan fine
>aren't the ones that complain to our Support Center.  It further doesn't
>help when I can take some of these documents and look at them fine with
>Acrobat Reader, but any other PDF tool won't even touch them... From the
>perspective of the users, who mostly use Reader around here), the file
>is okay and not corrupted, but the emails are saying they contain viruses
>(and they don't seem to read what the message actually says, which says
>the document is corrupt).  They see the {Virus?} in the subject line and
>basically freak out.  *shakes head*
>
>Anyways, maybe the newer verson of Sophos (3.66a) will help.

Please try 3.66a to see if it improves things.
But if you want a list of allowable words to appear in the brackets after
the attachment name, just for Sophos use, then I could add that for you. It
would probably be a patch to start with, so you can try it out.

I would really like to see a resolution to this problem too :-)

Let me know what you think.
--
Julian Field