Maill Cluster

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Wed Feb 5 09:21:16 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:37:41 +0200, you wrote:

>I am looking to setup a cluster mail server (failover cluster)....

We are running a kind-of-cluster. It consists of two (identical
configured) systems. One is called mx1 and the other mx2 with identical
preferences in DNS (for the outside). We als have smtp which points to
both systems for internal use.

>I have few questions:
>1) Has anybody got a howto for sendmail/exim clustering?

The sendmail configuration is no different from a normal system. We only
made extra entries in some Makefile's which copy (cpio over ssh) the
changed alias and configuration files over to the other system.

We have discussed whether we would use a fail-over system, but we
decided if we have two system let them share the work. Both are
powerfull enough to keep up with the load when the other dies. This
actually is the way we ran after the fire. Only this week we are
planning on putting the second system back online again.

--
Peter Peters                        senior netwerkbeheerder
Centrum voor InformatieTechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie