4.12-2 Solaris buglet

Jeremy Evans JeremyE at BSA.CA.GOV
Tue Feb 4 00:45:39 GMT 2003

>OK, I'd be grateful if I could get at least one person on each
>non-Linux OS to try the attached version of check_mailscanner, and let
>me know:

>1) Does it work?

No, unless changes are made to the script (besides than the obvious changes
to the paths).  Regardless of whether MailScanner is currently running, it
will start a new process for it.

I modified the script, and I've gotten it to partially work.  The only
problem is that it occasionally will report a pid even when MailScanner
isn't already running (and thus, not start it).  This seems more common if
you try to run check_mailscanner right after you've killed MailScanner's pid
(even after making sure that MailScanner isn't running using ps -axww). I've
attached the script, if you're interested in looking at it.

FWIW, The 4.12 check_mailscanner script works fine after the paths are
changed appropriately, and I'm sticking to that.

>2) Your OS, with full version info.

OpenBSD 3.2, MailScanner 4.12

>3) If it didn't work, why not?

I'm guessing the reason it doesn't work without modification is because
there is a space between $msbindir and $process in OpenBSD's ps -axww
output, while in the check_mailscanner script there is a slash between them.
Changing $msbindir/$process to $config seems to fix the problem.

>4) Exactly what output is coming from the ps command in question.

Output attached as ps.txt

>I did a fair bit of research into weird and wonderful OSes before I
>wrote this version, yet
>Julian tells me it still doesn't work on some; I'm guessing it's most
>likely that this will be
>non-current versions of SysV-descended UNIXes (that don't do POSIX
>right), but I
>really want to get it exactly right (with the minumum of guff in the
>script, too)...

I'd prefer to have a different check_mailscanner script for every OS
(check_mailscanner.linux, check_mailscanner.solaris, etc.), with a link
pointing to the appropriate one.

>Oh, don't forget to replace the PERL, GREP, AWK, config and msbindir
>settings with
>something appropriate for your installation.

In OpenBSD, uname is located in /usr/bin (as are perl, grep, and awk).
Also, uname -s produces 'OpenBSD'.

Jeremy Evans
Information Systems Analyst
California State Auditor