3.x to 4.x Upgrade

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 3 10:33:18 GMT 2003

At 07:34 03/02/2003, you wrote:
>I have been running 3.x for quite sometime and it is running great.
>
>My only concern is that support for 3.x will be stopped shortly. Is
>there an indication of when this will happen?

I am only fixing urgent security issues in 3.x now. No new features will be
added to it.

>I understand that 4.x is the current stable new version etc.....but I
>run 3.x on a production box and I can't afford too much downtime!

The long bit of doing the upgrade depends on how much you have customised
the setup for your site. You cannot just use the mailscanner.conf file from
3.x and try to run 4.x with it. You need to edit the MailScanner.conf for
4.x and include all your customisations. Note that some things like
per-domain scanning control and spam white/black lists have changed a bit,
you will need to read the contents of the /etc/MailScanner/rules directory
to see what you need to understand.

You will need to uninstall 3.x completely first, then install and customise
4.x.

I advise you install 4.x on another machine so you can sort out all your
customisations. Then the upgrade on your production server should only take
a few minutes.

If you get stuck and need some help, do ask!
--
Julian Field