Spam/bounce problem

Tony Johansson tony.johansson at SVENSKAKYRKAN.SE
Thu Dec 18 16:49:29 GMT 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:16:42 -0600, James Pattie <james at PCXPERIENCE.COM>
wrote:

>| The flow is something like this:
>|
>| 1. Spammer sends spam to abc at domain.com, spam has the spoofed return
>| address xyz at school.com
>| 2. No such user at domain.com/mailbox full/disabled etc
>| 3. Mail bounces to xyz at school.com (with return path "<>")
>| 4. Smtpgate at school.com (running mailscanner) accepts message, forwards
>| to internal server
>| 5. Internal server sees that the address xyz at school.com is non-existant
>| 6. Internal server tries to bounce the message, to xyz at school.com, but
>| naturally it cannot be delivered
>| 7. Message is sent to postmaster at school.com, "I tried to deliver a bounce
>| message to this address, but the bounce bounced!"
>|
>| Does anyone have a remedy for this problem?
>|

>use the sendmail double bounce suppression feature talked about recently
on this
>list.

Yes, but that would only help step 7. That step is no problem, apart from
all the emails to postmaster.

Its step 4 that has problems keeping up.

Since its quite hard to separate "real" bounces from those described above,
I think the best solution would be to somehow put all incoming bounces in a
separate mqueue.in, putting real email in a higher priority queue.

Question is, how?...

Regards, Tony