Upgrading MailScanner and SpamAssassin

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Dec 16 19:49:07 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 19:31, Richard Alexander wrote:

>I'm currently running MS(4.20-3) and SA(2.44) on a Red Hat Linux 9.0
>server for our company.  I wanted to install the latest release of each
>product to try and get a little better filtering.  I have downloaded
>the
>RPMS for MS(4.25-14) and SA(2.61-1).  I was wondering if there was
>anything in particular I need to do before installing the new versions?
>Which program should be installed first, etc.

This has been discussed recently, so check the archives for more detail.

In your specific case the order probably isn't important, but as a
general guide its probably best to upgrade MailScanner first, then the
other ancillary programs (my reasoning being that where ancillary
programs have changed their API or output that you may need the latest
MailScanner to handle them correctly).
I'd also suggest doing MailScanner first (use the
upgrade_MailScanner_conf to do what it says on the tin) then leaving it
for a while before upgrading SA (so that if you do have problems you
know which upgrade caused them).